If some functions in Windows are not working properly or programs stop working you might have some broken or missing system files. Normally that can be solved by doing a system file check on Windows 10.
Typical errors that can be solved:
- Search function broken
- Can’t search in the start menu
- Problems with Windows update
- Explorer/The desktop crashes
- Other miscellaneous errors
To check the integrity of Windows system files:
- Search/find the Command Prompt in the start menu
- Right-click on “Command Prompt” and select Run as administrator, click Yes
- Type the command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (and press Enter)
This can take a while, but just wait until you get a text like this: “The operation completed successfully“
- Now type the next command: sfc/scannow (and press Enter)
This command will also take a while to run…
- Soon you will get “Verification 100% complete”
Finish off with a full reboot of the computer.
Now everything should work again.